11.11.2007

Inspiration*

In between midnight and morning
my words wake me
traveling through
slumber to sight

I taste thoughts as my eyes open
spying the clock
next to my bed
angry numbers

In my mind's many rooms, words weave
into poems
I say only
where is my pen

*This is an example of a "minute poem." Minute poems are 12-lines, consisting of 60 syllables, with a syllabic line count of 8,4,4,4,8,4,4,4,8,4,4,4. Technically, the form should have rhyming couplets--but I just couldn't do it. I've also heard some people insist on this form being written in a strict iambic meter...again, this was just impossible for me. Sticking to the right number of syllables was hard enough. I was trying to describe one intense moment--an actual minute--when words wake me up and I am compelled to start writing poetry.

2 comments:

Don said...

Sharp. Focused.

Anonymous said...

Nothing is impossible for you. And even when you fail to meet your own standards, you dazzle!