12.23.2006

Modified Villanelle*

The lies he tells me are so grand
Ornamental and impressive
Within moments, I forget the bland

He holds my hand
Attention excessive
Trying to twist off my wedding band

The lay of this land
Familiar but still expressive
Plentiful as coastal sand

Why weren't my feelings manned?
Protected, dismissive
My interest burns like a brand

Playing with my hair, every strand
His want aggressive
Where I stand
Is banned

*A villanelle is a poetic form which entered English-language poetry in the late 1800s from the imitation of French models. Nineteen lines long, they are poems written in Tercets with only two rhymes, the first and third line of the first stanza alternating as the third line in each successive stanza and forming a couplet at the close.
The above example is not a TRUE villanelle, hence the title.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Trying to twist off my wedding band"

More like, "Trying to get in them draws"

Saadia said...

Hi, Anonymous!!

In case you were unaware, a 'villanelle' is a type of poem. If you look at the poem again, you'll see that it has a very particular rhyming sequence and a certain number of stanzas.

If you read the poem again, you will also see that it could be about anything. Think: a mother with a needy child.

Dawnya said...

Girly_girl you are gonna have to buy some ink for my printer. LOL...I really like this one...I had to print it out.

Lance said...

yo anonymous, i feel you with that one!...but g-g threw a mad curveball on that one...a mother with a needy child...

....but what if the child is a grown damn man with a woody?

he's still a child to somebody's mama!