3.19.2007

Pretty Baby*

Written after reading Ginsberg

pretty baby he says
pretty baby he breathes
pretty baby come here
pretty baby don’t leave
pretty baby show me
pretty baby I need
pretty baby say yes
pretty baby believe
pretty baby where were you
pretty baby look at me
pretty baby stay here
pretty baby—please

*This poem is an example of anaphora which is a fancy poetic term for when the beginning of each line in a poem repeats the same word or phrase. In the above poem, the repetition of the words 'pretty baby' at the beginning of each line suggests obsession.

4 comments:

dc_speaks said...

wow...again i say, I had no idea there were so many different styles of poetry.

you are my own personal poetry class 101 professor!

thank you Saadia...MF!

Mizrepresent said...

You are a poetic genius!

Rich Fitzgerald said...

So, you will have these explanations in your book so that you can teach us a thing or two. Right!

Shai said...

Saadia, good piece. I have a poetry buddy, Timothy Stelly and he is doing a book with the different styles of poetry in it, he will define them in the book also.